“A Moorish chief called Ode lived in the castle with his beautiful wife. When she saw the Christian troops arriving she shouted out: “Ode, look (mira) at the enemy, for they are coming upon us.” This warning, so legend goes, gave rise to the name Odemira.
CERRO DO CASTELO/CERRO DO PEGUINHO
A small section of the walls of the ancient castle of Odemira can be seen (of the Iron Age).
PRAÇA SOUSA PRADO FOUNTAIN
Fountain with rectangular tank built in 1823, bearing a stone with the royal arms, in the rococo style.
The composition of the front elevation is baroque architecture.
It is a real ex-libris of the town of Odemira due to its landscape value.
MARKER STONES OF ODEMIRA BARGE
These are the old stones used to secure the cables for the barge crossing at Odemira.
Odemira Barge was the means for crossing the River Mira in the town of Odemira, between the 16th century and end of the 19th century. The Barge was a platform in the form of a basket, that was operated by a system of cables.
“Legend says that the name comes from the Bishop of Beja, D. Teotónio at the time of building the local church, and consequent land lease.”
CABO SARDÃO LIGHTHOUSE
Cape Sardão lighthouse has a white square tower and an attached building. It has a luminous range of 23 miles and a height of 17 metres. It was built in 1915.
Address: Cavaleiro, 7630 São Teotónio, Odemira
Visiting times: 14:00, 15:00 and 16:00.
Vila Nova de Mil Fontes
S. CLEMENTE FORT
Commonly called “Castle” by locals, its construction was completed at the start of the 16th century (1602). It was built in the fight against maritime piracy. It used to be a holiday home for rent, but it is now a private residence.
Address: Largo Brito Pais, Vila Nova de Milfontes; 37.722986; -8.78276
Milfontes pier may no longer have the same charm as before, but it is still worth a visit. The old structure was demolished for safety reasons and a new construction emerged in its place.
Address: Vila Nova de Milfontes; 37.723158, -8.78023
D. MARIA OR SANTA CLARA-A-VELHA BRIDGE
Built in the 18th century. It is locally known as a Roman bridge because it is situated close to a Roman road
that linked Beja to the Algarve and which has traces still existing today.
Address: Santa Clara-a-Velha; 37º27’53”N 8º47’45”E
SANTA CLARA DAM
It is considered to be one of Europe’s largest, covering an area of 1986 hectares, and fed by the
Address: Santa Clara-a-Velha; 37º30’49”N 8º26’34”E
Pardieiro necropolis consists of 11 graves, 10 of which are grouped together and 1 is peripheral. This necropolis produced two chiselled tombstones with writing in SW. Excavation work provided a collection of some archaeological artefacts, mostly made up of objects of adornment.
Address: EM503-São Martinho das Amoreiras